static page for F7 release, new directions

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Apr 26 14:18:28 UTC 2007

Mike McGrath wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> - the page has very little in actual content, search engines don't
>> have much to index, I think a short description (one paragraph) about
>> what Fedora is would be very useful on that page.
>
> It was discussed that we could have more than one page.  Probably a
> download page or some such thing, an official about page wouldn't hurt,
> it could be on the download page or on its own page.

I wanted to illustrate two things:
- a random visitor get to the page (following a link or whatever other
means), with this mock-up his first reaction is "FTW if this Fedora
thing?". The link "Why is Fedora 7 for me" is suboptimal because it a)
answer a different question (why instead of what) and b) it require an
additional click;
- http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora will display "The Fedora Project
is a collection of projects sponsored by Red Hat, and developed as a
partnership between the open source community and Red Hat engineers.
..." under the link to the website. Google does not take this text from
a meta tag, but from the text of the page. With the current mock-up, I
don't know what Google will display, maybe "Copyright (c) 2003,
2004,..." (as an alternative, Google can take the description from
dmoz.org, but I am not sure under which circumstances).