Improving wiki localization

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sat Jun 23 18:52:54 UTC 2007

O/H Samuel Bizien έγραψε:

> We've seen that, while there's a lot of pages translated into french,
> french readers are not always aware that they exist, and surf the wiki
> in english. Several tumes, i've seen french community members sending
> links to english page, where we had translated it. I think other l10n
> team may have the same problem.
> I've seen that this point has been discussed, but i haven't seen any
> answer.

Great for bringing this up Samuel! We really need to find a solution and apply
it so that people are directed to the most helpful page for them.

> 2. Include a list of translation available on the pages. I saw it was
> impossible to do it automatically with MoinMoin (it's one of the feature
> request -and there's a lot of feature requests-). Maybe the l10n teams
> could manage it, no ? For example, we could :
> - List all translations available on the english page
> - In translated version, add a link to english (original) page.

I've copied your page to our wikispace, at:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Wikipages

Once we finalize the discussion we can write there some guidelines for the wiki
translation.

I added another approach: create a subpage listing translations and linking from
all pages there, so that all localized pages link to all the rest. I used a
table and some CSS to style it up (which could be moved to our CSS file
screen-common.css).

We need to decide on the separation character for the page names: Blah.fr_FR,
Blah_fr_FR, or Blah-fr_FR?

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos