2-clicks-to-LiveCD no longer blocking on mirrormanager

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Sep 17 13:53:59 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 06:45:09PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Matt Domsch wrote:
> >URLs of the form:
> >
> >http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Live/i386/Fedora-7-Live-i686.iso
> >
> >now work via mirrormanager redirect magic.  This is basically the full
> >path to the actual file on the master servers, but will automagically
> >redirect to a (local) mirror with that file.  This can be used for any
> >file stored in the master mirror tree.
> >
> >Hopefully this will un-block the "2-clicks to a LiveCD" feature.  Heck
> >- it could be 1-click on the front page of fedoraproject.org/ now. :-)
>
> This is wonderful. Could you make this work for the release notes too?
> Those are frequently inaccessible during the release time from the
> amount of traffic. It would nice to share the load here.

The directory pub/fedora/web on the master servers contains the home
page content, exactly so it can be distributed to the mirrors.  The
release notes size isn't so great that mirrors would object to those
being added under this same directory.

The normal URL for the release notes is at
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/ and subdirs thereunder.
If the release notes content is posted to the mirrors to show up under
pub/fedora/web, I expect we could make docs.fp.o/release-notes do a
redirect to http://download.fp.o/pub/fedora/web/release-notes.
There's a propogation delay though; you can edit content on docs.fp.o
and it's live nearly immediately; once you're doing http redirects to
mirrors, you need ~24 hours to make sure the updated content has
gotten to the mirrors.  Right now there are 13 mirror servers carrying
this content globally.

Thanks,
Matt

--