get.fedoraproject.org redesign mockups

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:31:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 09:22:04PM -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> Máirín Duffy said the following on 10/05/2009 02:38 PM Pacific Time:
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I just finished up the final mockups for get.fedoraproject.org.
> >These were originally due last Friday, so I apologize for the
> >delay [1].
> >
> >Here's what we've got:
> >
> >https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign_2009/Mockups/Get.fpo
> >
> >For reference the spins mockups from a little over a week ago are here:
> >
> >https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign_2009/Mockups/Spins.fpo
> >
> >These should be fairly familiar to a lot of folks since we went
> >over the pencil sketches for these in a board meeting not long ago
> >and those sketches have been available for a while [2].
> >
> >Let me know what you think!
>
> Looks like a great improvement to me!  Thanks for all your hard work
> overhauling these pages and the overall design.

+100.

I think that Mo noted somewhere in the mockups that there's a missing
element, which is the route for a person who is looking to update
their existing Fedora system.  It might be just a single page that's
in order, and the flow itself is mostly there already.

> Do you think we can still go live with this for Fedora 12?  Can you
> stage the a beta version of the pages so that we can all help you
> test them out?

The websites team, Hiemanshu and Sijis in particular, have been
working on these pages.  To test them, here's what you need to do:

$ su -c 'yum groupinstall "Web Server"'
$ su -c 'yum install git gettext python-genshi babel'
$ git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/fedora-web.git    # ~37 MB
$ cd fedora-web/fedoraproject.org
$ make
$ make test

Then point your web browser at http://localhost:5000/ to see results.
The folks on the Websites team could use some help in getting the HTML
and CSS done to support the mockup designs.  I've advertised on some
social networking feeds -- assistance would be appreciated!