Re: [Fedora-xen] Newbie Virt Questions and comments on wiki/Docs/Fedora8VirtQuickStart

John Summerfield wrote:
Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
Aaron Metzger wrote:

I am trying to migrate my virtualization infrastructure from a pure Xen implementation to the more versatile Fedora virt-manager Xen/KVM environment. While doing this, I have hit some snags related to areas in which pure Xen documentation no longer applies due to the presence of lib-virt et al.

First a minor comment on the Fedora8VirtQuickStart (draft I know):

The section:

Building a Fedora Guest System using `virt-manager`

no longer applies because between Fedora 7 and Fedora 8 there no longer appears to be a "New" button or a "File New" option in virt-manager. It would appear that the only way to create a DomU is by way of virt-install.

The doc needs updating. I did some updating this weekend. The button is not as obvious now but it is still there (you have to right-click on the hypervisor to see the "New" option. I'm not sure why this changed, but I have updated that bit.

That's bizarre. According to the web site, you employed "UI Interface Designers."

I think you need new designers, that's far from intuitive.

Lucky for us they are happy to take suggestions and improve!

Figured this out - They had to remove the global new button, because the UI now allows multiple hypervisor connections. So you need to be able to have a new button that is linked to a specific connection. The button is now there for each hypervisor on the right side. I didn't see the button before. If you right-click, that's a second way to access it. I don't think it will be too hard to make the button more obvious.

-Sam