[Fedora-xen] Fedora Core 8 + Xenbr0 + network bridging?

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Fri Nov 30 22:27:13 UTC 2007

----- "David Levinger" <davidl at matissenetworks.com> wrote:
> Thank Dale for your quick reply! I've definitely started to realize
> that
> libvirt was what was creating the 192.168.122 subnet but I'm still
> unclear on what I'd need to do to go back to something like xenbr0.
>
> What would I end up putting into /etc/sysconfi/network-scripts after
> changing the line to /bin/true that would allow my xen guests to just
> get IPs on the same subnet that the host is on. Just passing
> communication through.
>
> Thanks again and my apologies if this sounds like a stupid question
> :-)
>
> David

I have a bridge on VLAN 6 so I call it br6 you can use xenbr0 is you like. Mine mostly looks something like this after removing the VLAN trunk complication:

# cat ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br6

# cat ifcfg-br6
DEVICE=br6
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=10.10.6.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.10.6.0
BROADCAST=10.10.6.255

Now your primary IP of your dom0 lives on the br6 interface. Your domU's will be on the same VLAN and should see your DHCP server. Don't forget to enable IP forwarding.

# grep phys /etc/sysconfig/iptables
-A FORWARD -m physdev  --physdev-is-bridged -j ACCEPT

# grep forward /etc/sysctl.conf
# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

p.s. use 'brctl show' to see your bridges.
--
Dale Bewley - Unix Administrator - Shields Library - UC Davis
GPG: 0xB098A0F3 0D5A 9AEB 43F4 F84C 7EFD  1753 064D 2583 B098 A0F3