[Fedora-xen] How To Test Dom0 Xen Support In Fedora 10

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 10:36:20 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 18:29 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm an experienced IBM mainframe programmer with just a little C and
> Java coding experience. I have no experience in the programming part of
> virtualization. I currently do have CentOS 5.2 running as a guest under
> VMWare workstation (an older version which is about a year old, running
> on a Fedora 7 host. And yes, I know Fedora 7 is long out of date.)
>
> I would like to jump in the water and get my feet wet, though. Can
> someone like me test Dom0 Xen support in Fedora 10? If so, is there a
> web resource somewhere spelling out how to get started with testing? I
> will need the steps involved in patching and building a test kernel
> pointed out to me.
>
> I just bought a new laptop, the Dell Latitude E6400 with the Intel P9500
> processor. I think this processor has virtualization technology (vmx
> extensions?) so the hardware for testing is there.

It sounds like your interest is in virtualization generally and not Xen
specifically?

If that's the case - and your machine has VMX - then perhaps it would be
more realistic for you to jump in (slightly shallower water :-) and try
using Fedora 10 KVM? I only say that because you might find it difficult
to make any headway building a Dom0 kernel.

This is a good starting point:

   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Quick_Start

Feel free to ask KVM questions on this list too ... it's about time we
renamed it to fedora-virt at redhat.com :-)

Cheers,
Mark.