[Fedora-xen] Dom0 Xen kernel on Fedora 10

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Tue Dec 16 00:07:30 UTC 2008

I have succeeded in getting a fedora based kernel to build with Dom0
patches added. The steps were roughly as follows;

1. Start from kernel-2.6.28-0.106.rc6.git4.fc11.src.rpm
2. Create a patch from http://xenbits.xen.org/paravirt_ops/patches.hg/
changeset 2238 by concatenating those patches listed in the series file
(excluding those commented out) together.
3. Edit kernel.spec to revert to plain rc6 (which the pvops patches seem
currently to be based on though some patches from rc8 seem to be included
in the x86/x86.patch file), add the combined patch, and increase the fuzz
factor to 2 so it applies.
4. Make several edits to the source files and configuration options to get
it to compile on F10. Some of these, such as the couple I have so far
reported on http://bugzilla.redhat.org/ (476456 and 476457), are due to
code problems that show up because the F10 compiler seems to be a bit
better at checking for errors.

If anyone wants to inspect it, the source rpm generated is at
http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~may/xen/kernel-2.6.28-0.106.rc6.fc10.src.rpm
It is completely untested beyond the fact that it compiles for me, so I
have no idea if a kernel built from it will actually boot.

 	Michael Young