[Fedora-xen] Re: How is network bridging for Xen handled in F7?

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Wed Feb 6 14:08:17 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> Oh btw, before anyone asks - we added compatability code to vif-bridge, so if
> you have any existing guest config files which refer to 'xenbr0' they will
> automatically join the eth0 bridge device instead. So existing guests are
> supposed to 'just work' even though the Dom0 network config changed a little.

Dan,

I just ran into an issue with this.

I have re-built F8 xen-3.1.2 from SRPM on CentOS 5.1 x86_64 and done a
clean kickstart install of CentOS 5.1 x86_64 which pulls in the
xen-3.1.2 RPMs from a repo (i.e. xen-3.0.3 is never installed).

I have some guests created using xen-??? on FC6 which I have migrated to
a new machine and which use xenbr0.

When I try to start the domains using "xm create -c guestname" I got a
message about not finding xenbr0.

So, I changed xenvr0 to virbr0 and the guests start OK and can talk to
each other but can not talk to anything on the rest of the network.

I have figured that this is related to the issue discussed in this thread.

How come xenbr0 was not recognised? Do I need to update some other
packages, or should I use virsh?

Or do I just configure eth0 as a bridge in Dom0 as described here [1]

Thanks,

R.

[1]
http://watzmann.net/blog/index.php/2007/04/27/networking_with_kvm_and_libvirt