[Fedora-xen] New to Xen - Need Help Please!

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Nov 17 17:19:48 UTC 2008

HostBigger Admin wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> I am new to Xen and have been having some problems getting it running. I had
> posted on the xen-users list but they recommended that I direct my questions
> to this list. So I apologize if this is misdirected. I am just trying to
> find a solution to the issue I am having. I have read and followed several
> tutorials and tried different fixes for this issue but have had no luck.
>
> Here is my server setup first:
>
> Dual Core - Dual Processor Xeon 5120
> 2GB RAM
> Virtualization support in bios is enabled
> CentOS 5.2
> No direct console access, only remote access via SSH2
>
> I have used the tutorial located at http://www.howtoforge.com/centos_5.0_xen
>
> Everything works up until I run virt-install to create the domU. I run
> virt-install with the -nographics switch and get the following
>
> No console available for domain
>
> Domain installation still in progress.  You can reconnect to the console to
> complete the installation process.
>

> I then tried to connect to the console using
>
> Xm console 5
>

> And I get:
>
> xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory
>
> I looked at the qemu log in /var/log/xen
>
> And this is what I see
>
>  domid: 5
>
>  qemu: the number of cpus is 1
>
>  *** image /local/domain/0/backend/vbd/5/768 format raw driver
>  0x80e7940
>
>  *** image /local/domain/0/backend/vbd/5/5632 format raw driver
>  0x80e7940 Watching /local/domain/5/logdirty/next-active
>
>  Could not initialize SDL - exiting

This is actually a known bug: xen doesn't abide nographics
and tries to init SDL. This will almost always fail if
run through 5.2 libvirt. This bug will be fixed in 5.3.

What you can try in the interim is specify --vnc to
the virt-install command line. This should prevent the
guest from crashing, and you can continue as normal
with 'xm console' which should just work for a PV guest.

- Cole