[Fedora-xen] libvirt-0.4.6 for Fedora 8 ?

Maxim Doucet maxim at alamaison.fr
Wed Oct 29 15:37:41 UTC 2008

Daniel Veillard a écrit :
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 02:41:40PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:27:58AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>>
>> I think it is a bad idea to push major new versions of anything to  a
>> distro that is about to go end of life. We've only just released these
>> new libvirt, virt-manager & virtinst packages. We *will* cause regressions
>> in functionality in F8, and with it about to go end of life, we'll be
>> unable to push further updates to fix the regressions.
>>
>> If someone really badly wants new libvirt/virt-manager for F8, then they
>> can easily just take the new RPMs from F9/10 and do a rpmbuild --rebuild
>> on the src. This avoids causing regressions for anyone else on F8 who
>> don't care.
>>

>   The other solution is to build the package in Testing and not push it
> to Stable, like I did for libvirt, I think this minimize the risks while
> avoiding the multiple builds (and hence risk of massive divergence of
> the versions).
>
> Daniel
Hello,

This is a very interesting point...

Fedora 8 is for now the latest Fedora distribution with a Xen dom0 :
 * Fedora 9 doesn't have a dom0 according to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvops#Release_Notes
 * the next Fedora with a Xen dom0 will be Fedora 10, according to
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-Virtualization.html
(20.1 Kernel Integration Improvements : "Xen Dom0 support will be added
back in Fedora 10")

I am curious about :

>   The other solution is to build the package in Testing and not push it
> to Stable, like I did for libvirt, I think this minimize the risks while
> avoiding the multiple builds (and hence risk of massive divergence of
> the versions).
Does the fact of pushing Fedora 8 packages into Testing instead of Stable allows future updates of theses packages to be available to Fedora 8 users even after its end of life ?

P.S. : is there any place to follow the development of http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvops ?

--
Maxim Doucet (maxim at alamaison.fr)
sys engineer @ la maison