[Fedora-xen] Goodbye Xen on RH/Fedora?

Ian Jackson Ian.Jackson at eu.citrix.com
Wed Jan 21 17:45:54 UTC 2009

Jos Vos writes ("Re: [Fedora-xen] Goodbye Xen on RH/Fedora?"):
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 01:53:19PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > I think Xensource is putting a lot of effort into opensource Xen.
>
> I've heard totally different stories from others.  For almost every
> problem you report, they'll tell you that "it is fixed in the
> commercial version".

I don't know where you're asking.  As far as I know Citrix (who bought
Xensource) don't offer paid end-user support as a service for the
upstream version of Xen.  On the other hand they do pay the salaries
of various people who work on it (including me and of course Keir).

If you find bugs in upstream Xen we're certainly interested; we spend
most of our time trying to keep the quality up and manage the incoming
patchstream.  It's true that lists like xen-users aren't that
well-read by developers like me but I think you'll find that's often
true with a Free Software project; many developers prefer to try to
help improve the code than to help individual users one at a time.

As you can see at least some of us do read this list.  I keep an eye
on things here as well as on other distro lists - despite my Debian
background :-) - to see if there's anything we can do to improve
things.  Most of the issues reported here are about Fedora-specific
packaging of course, which I'm no expert on.

It's true that the situation with the kernel is very disappointing.
I don't think I can really explain what I see as the causes.  It's too
much of a political hot potato and I don't want to offend anyone,
particularly my hosts here.

Fortunately we now have Jeremy Fitzhardinge in charge of getting Xen
support into Linux upstream and that seems to be making reasonable
progress - although of course we would all prefer it to be faster.

Regards,
Ian.

NB this is not the official position of Citrix about anything,
just my personal opinion.