[Freeipa-devel] Random Certificate Serial Numbers

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Mon Apr 7 07:48:51 UTC 2014

Hi Rob, Ade and others,

In the past, Rob was investigating enabling random certificate serial numbers
for FreeIPA PKI [1].  We also have a ticket [2] planned to enable it for 4.0.
Can we simply switch it on for PKI with pkispawn attribute:

[CA]
pki_random_serial_numbers_enable=True

or is there any drawback or risk we should investigate. I am just thinking,
does PKI handle collisions anyhow? When for example two PKI masters generate 2
certificates of the same serial (unlikely though it could happen)?

Currently, we assign different slice of serial range to different PKI masters,
do we want to do that also for random serial?

Thanks for info

[1] http://dogtagpki.org/wiki/Random_Certificate_Serial_Numbers
[2] https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2016

--
Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com>
Supervisor, Software Engineering - Identity Management Team