[Freeipa-devel] IPA Server upgrade 4.2 design

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Mar 3 09:56:58 UTC 2015

On 2.3.2015 18:54, Martin Basti wrote:
> On 02/03/15 18:28, Martin Kosek wrote:

>>> I don't know cases when LDAPI would failed, except the case LDAPI is
>>> misconfigured by user, or disabled by user.
>> Wasn't LDAPI needed for the DM password less upgrade so that upgrader could
>> simply bind as root with EXTERNAL auth?
> We can do upgrade in both way, using LDAPI or using DM password, preferred is
> LDAPI.
> Question is, what is the use case for using DM password instead of LDAPI
> during upgrade.
>>
>>> It is not big effort to keep both DM binding and LDAPI in code.  A user can
>>> always found som unexpected use case for LDAP update with DM password.

>>> So lets summarize this:
>>> * DO upgrade if possible during RPM transaction
>> Umm, I thought we want to get rid of running upgrade during RPM transaction. It
>> is extremely difficult to debug upgrade stuck during RPM transaction, it also
>> makes RPM upgrade run longer than needed. It also makes admins nervous when
>> their rpm upgrade is suddenly waiting right before the end. I even see the
>> fingers slowly reaching to CTRL+C combo... (You can see the consequences)
> People are used to have IPA upgraded and ready after RPM upgrade.
> They may be shocked if IPA services will be in shutdown state after RPM
> transaction.
>
> I have no more objections.

IMHO the problem with long-running RPM upgrade should be approached from the
other way: Just print message 'IPA server upgrade is running, press CTRL+C if
you want to destroy your IPA server'.

bind-dyndb-ldap prints a message about SELinux in RPM scriptlets for couple
releases now and nobody complained (yet? :-).

Petr^2 Spacek

--
Petr^2 Spacek