[Freeipa-devel] Time-based account policies

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 22:10:45 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-03-09 at 16:17 -0400, John Dennis wrote:
> On 03/09/2015 03:45 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > We've been through this a few times already, it just doesn't work.
> > At a minimum you need to be able to select between UTC and "Local Time"
> > and it is a rathole down there (What time is it *here* may be a hard
> > question to answer :-/)
>
> O.K. I'll bite, Converting from UTC to local using static UTC offsets is
> fraught with perils. But if you do the local conversion utilizing the tz
> (i.e. Olson) database why would be it hard to determine local time?

In some cases it may be hard due to external reasons (think travelers
and their devices).

Another problem is to understand who's timezone to match and how do you
know, if a user is connecting via the network and a local time rule is
in place, whose local time should that be ? The user or the server's ?

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York