[Freeipa-devel] Generic support for unknown DNS RR types (RFC 3597)

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 16:35:32 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-03-10 at 16:19 +0100, Petr Spacek wrote:
> On 10.3.2015 15:53, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Tue, 2015-03-10 at 15:32 +0100, Petr Spacek wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would like to discuss Generic support for unknown DNS RR types (RFC 3597
> >> [0]). Here is the proposal:
> >>
> >> LDAP schema
> >> ===========
> >> - 1 new attribute:
> >> ( <OID> NAME 'GenericRecord' DESC 'unknown DNS record, RFC 3597' EQUALITY
> >> caseIgnoreIA5Match SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )
> >>
> >> The attribute should be added to existing idnsRecord object class as MAY.
> >>
> >> This new attribute should contain data encoded according to ​RFC 3597 section
> >> 5 [5]:
> >>
> >> The RDATA section of an RR of unknown type is represented as a
> >>    sequence of white space separated words as follows:
> >>
> >>       The special token \# (a backslash immediately followed by a hash
> >>       sign), which identifies the RDATA as having the generic encoding
> >>       defined herein rather than a traditional type-specific encoding.
> >>
> >>       An unsigned decimal integer specifying the RDATA length in octets.
> >>
> >>       Zero or more words of hexadecimal data encoding the actual RDATA
> >>       field, each containing an even number of hexadecimal digits.
> >>
> >>    If the RDATA is of zero length, the text representation contains only
> >>    the \# token and the single zero representing the length.
> >>
> >> Examples from RFC:
> >>       a.example.   CLASS32     TYPE731         \# 6 abcd (
> >>                                                ef 01 23 45 )
> >>       b.example.   HS          TYPE62347       \# 0
> >>       e.example.   IN          A               \# 4 0A000001
> >>       e.example.   CLASS1      TYPE1           10.0.0.2
> >>

> >> Open questions about LDAP format
> >> ================================
> >> Should we include "\#" constant? We know that the attribute contains record in
> >> RFC 3597 syntax so it is not strictly necessary.
> >>
> >> I think it would be better to follow RFC 3597 format. It allows blind
> >> copy&pasting from other tools, including direct calls to python-dns.
> >>
> >> It also eases writing conversion tools between DNS and LDAP format because
> >> they do not need to change record values.
> >>

> >> Another question is if we should explicitly include length of data represented
> >> in hexadecimal notation as a decimal number. I'm very strongly inclined to let
> >> it there because it is very good sanity check and again, it allows us to
> >> re-use existing tools including parsers.
> >>
> >> I will ask Uninett.no for standardization after we sort this out (they own the
> >> OID arc we use for DNS records).
> >>

> >> Attribute usage
> >> ===============
> >> Every DNS RR type has assigned a number [1] which is used on wire. RR types
> >> which are unknown to the server cannot be named by their mnemonic/type name
> >> because server would not be able to do name->number conversion and to generate
> >> DNS wire format.
> >>
> >> As a result, we have to encode the RR type number somehow. Let's use attribute
> >> sub-types.

> [...]

Poor support by most clients, so it is generally discouraged.
The problem with subtypes and ACIs though is that I think ACIs do not
care about the subtype unless you explicit mention them.
So perhaps bind_dyndb_ldap should refuse to use a generic type that
shadows DNSSEC relevant records ?

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York