[Freeipa-devel] [PROPOSAL] FreeIPA Test Plan Workflow

Martin Koci mkoci at redhat.com
Wed Mar 18 19:18:10 UTC 2015

Hi,
working with Test Plans for 4.2 features I'd like to outline workflow
for test plans. The main aim is to have something documented and more
clear.
So I'd like to start with track ticket options. For better tracking and
managing tickets we could consider 3 new fields in the track ticket.

- First field for tracking link for test plan/test case which we can
refer to. We would call this field just "Test".
- The second field for tracking tester (QE). Let's called this field "QA
Contact". This field should inform about contributor (QE). That means -
you can track unassigned bugs (tracks), assigned but not reviewed (the
work hasn't started yet), and finished ("-", "+" - see below). According
to this you can also see who is overloaded and who can help to the
others.
- The third one for tracking states or flags for test coverage.
Something like "QE Test Coverage" with four states/flags:

* Review is needed - " "  (review is required for this issue)
Empty "QE Test Coverage" should mean "Hey, I need to be reviewed and
considered whether some test is needed or not".
* Test is not needed - "-" (Test is not required for this issue)
* Test exists - "+" (Test already exists - QE done)
* Test in progress - "?" (Test is required and QE {will} works on
test{s})

I can imagine some naming instead of flags +,-,?, ,.  Any ideas?

In the track ticket should be described the issue or link to design page
to get all necessary information for coverage. QE changes state "QE Test
Coverage" (Test in progress - "?") and creates test plan on wiki [1] and
add this link to "Test" field in the track. Then QE informs
freeipa-devel list about test plan if it's OK providing the link to test
plan. If it's OK QE will start work on particular test cases. When QE is
done then changes state "QE Test Coverage" to "+" (test exists).
As well I'd like to propose the possibility that ticket will not be
closed until QE is done with test?

Hope it makes sense to you.
Can I get your thoughts on this, please?

Thanks,
/koca
*[1] - http://www.freeipa.org/page/Main_Page