[Freeipa-devel] Time-based account policies

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 19:48:30 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-03-09 at 20:55 +0200, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2015, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:

> >> Yes and no. Let me go in details a bit.
> >>
> >> We need iCal support to allow importing events created by external
> >> tools. We don't need to use it as internal format.
> >>
> >> However, there are quite a lot of details that can be lost if only
> >> UTC would be in use for a date as you are ignoring a timezone
> >> information completely. Timezone information needs to be kept when
> >> importing and not always could be reliably represented in UTC so
> >> that conversion from one timezone to another could present quite a
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> See  http://www.w3.org/TR/timezone/for some of recommendations.
> >
> >I'm fine with a plan like this. I just want the admin to opt-in to
> >timezones. Localtime *by default* is fraught with pitfalls. If the
> >admin needs local time policy, he should specify it exactly and should
> >confirm the local time on affected systems.
> Yep. We need to make it easy -- probably by allowing to define timezones
> as part of host object (like Martin proposed) and overridden in HBAC
> service/service group. And all this have to be very visual in the UI.
>
> Another problem is how to deal with missing timezone information at the
> place where HBAC rule with time rules would need to be applied. We need
> to define the way we handle all these (unavailable, non-parsable and
> other kinds of errors) timezone info issues.

I would rather punt, than do some crappy thing ala Windows.

Local Only or UTC only is always wrong.

For some tasks 'local' is the only thing that makes sense (your morning
alarm clock), for other things 'UTC' is the only thing that make sense
(coordinated changes across multiple distributed data centers).

Implementing just one or the other is not useful.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York