[K12OSN] yum update vs. /etc/udev/rules.d/99-fuse.rules

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Oct 29 04:59:57 UTC 2009

Yes, I got that.  What's happening is that there's an update to the fuse
package, which includes /etc/udev/rules.d/99-fuse.rules, and an ltsp
package also installs that file.  The two packages are thus fighting
over who wins.

What you do is rename the 99-fuse.rules file to, say, 99-fuse.rules.bak
and then go to /var/cache/yum/k12ltsp/packages.  Do an "rpm -Uvh
--force" on whatever package it is that wants to install a new
99-fuse.rules (it starts with "fuse").  Then, once you're done, you
should have both 99-fuse.rules (from the new CentOS 5.4 fuse package)
and your .bak version from the ltsp-something package.

Give your system a test drive w/ a thin client.  If you're doing local
floppies or something similar, be sure to try that out.  If things are
continuing to work just fine, then leave things as they are.  If not,
then just rename the new 99-fuse.rules file to 99-fuse.rules.rpmnew or
something like that, and rename your "old" one from the ltsp-something
package to 99-fuse.rules.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate