localhost.localdomain

Hi all,

My RedHat-installs has the following line in /etc/hosts (host1 is the
real hostname):

127.0.0.1               host1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Im running sendmail as null-client.
All root mail comes from root local localdomain because sendmail thinks
this is the domain of the machine.

I see 2 solutions to this problem.

A) configure sendmail with the correct domainname. Not a very good idea,
this should be configured correctly by the OS I think.

B) change /etc/hosts to:

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.2             host1 host1.domain.com

To get the real hostname and the real FQDN tied to the real IP.

Comments? Why does RedHat use localhost.localdomain? And why is the
hostname set on 127.0.0.1 and not on the real ip?

	Daniel