RHEL 4.2 Anaconda problems

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni maddingue at free.fr
Tue Dec 20 14:38:47 UTC 2005

Selon Klaus Steden <klaus.steden at thomson.net>:

> >    Hi,
> >
> >    I am getting a segfault error message on the F4 screen of the RHEL 4.2
> >    AMD64 installer.  Other than that I do not see any other errors.  It
> just
> >    bombs out and waits for user input to reboot.  The following is a list
> of
> >    modifications:
> >

> >     1. Created DVD-based installation disk with kickstart-based install
> >        script.  This works without modifications below.
> >     2. Added two packages.  One custom package and KSH package taken from
> >        Fedora Core 4.
> >     3. Executed genhdlist.
> >

> >    Is the procedure for adding packages different for RHEL 4.2 than RHEL
> >    2.1?  I noticed this version of RHEL comes with pdksh package, which
> could
> >    conflict with the new ksh package; however, the installation bombs out
> >    without the ksh package too.
> >

> >    I think perhaps the genhdlist is not working well or there is something
> >    else I have to do.  Any help greatly appreciated.
> >
> Hello Chris,
>
> I've run into something like this before ... make sure the packages you add
> have filenames consistent with their internal package names. Anaconda isn't
> smart enough to tell that 'foo.rpm' and 'foo-1.2rc.rpm' are the same thing.

If that may help, I wrote this small Perl script that takes care of
renaming RPM files that don't have the expected names (like Sun JDK):

---[begin: pkg-rename.pl]---
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use File::Spec;
use RPM::Perlonly;  # pure Perl clone of RPM::Info

die "usage: $0 <rpms directory>\n",
    "  check the rpms located in the directory given in argument\n",
    "  and rename them correctly if necessary\n"
  unless @ARGV and @ARGV==1;

my($rpms_dir) = @ARGV;

# check that the given arguments exist
-d $rpms_dir  or die "No such directory: $rpms_dir\n";

opendir(DIR, $rpms_dir) or die "can't read directory '$rpms_dir': $!";
my @dir = grep /\.rpm$/, readdir(DIR);
closedir(DIR);

for my $file (@dir) {
    my $path = File::Spec->catfile($rpms_dir, $file);
    tie my %header, "RPM::Perlonly", $path or next;
    my $new_name = sprintf "%s-%s-%s.%s.rpm", @header{qw(NAME VERSION RELEASE
ARCH)};
    if($file ne $new_name) {
        print "  $file --> $new_name\n";
        rename($path, File::Spec->catfile($rpms_dir, $new_name))
          or warn "can't rename '$file' to '$new_name': $!";
    }
    untie %header;
}

--