[Libguestfs] fedoostrap or deboostrap requirement

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Sun Jul 12 13:44:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 02:09:24PM +0300, Piavlo wrote:
> Guido Günther wrote:

> >> Is it a good idea to run debirf as root?
> >>
> > I assume Piavlo is doing this since he lacks fakechroot.
> >
> No actually fakechroot is installed , this is what the libguestfs
> installation process does.
> I not familiar with deboostrap/debirf internals - any idea why the
> installed fakechroot is not being used automatically by debirf?
You need to figure out why debirf thinks you're running as uid 0. Either
you're really doing so or you're running with fakeroot already. You
should do neither of those and it will work:

    if [ $(id -u) = '0' ] ; then
        cat <<EOF
Warning: You are running debirf as root.  There is a potential
for improperly written modules to damage your system.
EOF
        if [ "$ROOT_WARNING" = 'true' ] ; then
            read -p "Are you sure you wish to continue? [y|N]: " OK; OK=${OK:=N}
            if [ "${OK/y/Y}" != 'Y' ] ; then
                failure "aborting."
            fi
        fi