[libvirt] How does virt-manager send shutdown?

How does virt-manager send shutdown to guests? Does it depend on if you are running kvm or xen? I have been building images with acpid enabled and acpi=force on the command line. After upgrading to f9 and running kvm my images no longer respond to shutdown. Is there a tweak which I have missed?

- bk