Re: [libvirt] How does virt-manager send shutdown?

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 01:22:43PM -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
How does virt-manager send shutdown to guests? Does it depend on if you are running kvm or xen? I have been building images with acpid enabled and acpi=force on the command line. After upgrading to f9 and running kvm my images no longer respond to shutdown. Is there a tweak which I have missed?

virt-manager  just invokes the shutdown API in libvirt, which has different
impls depending on the underlying hypervisor. In KVM case it invokes the
QEMU 'system_shutdown' command, which then triggers an ACPI power button
event in the guest. You need to make sure your guest has the <acpi/>
feature enabled in its XML config of course, and that the kernel has activated ACPI (may need the acpi=force param), and that acpid is running.
IIRC certainly KVM versions have a bug wrt this causing it not to work

Daniel

I added the following to my xml

      <features>
        <feature>
                <acpi/>
        </feature>
        </features>

and had acpi=force on my kernel line.. still no luck. I looked for bugs in bugzilla.redhat... saw none for kvm with acpi. Is there another to bug tool to look at?

-- bk