[libvirt] Question SSH support and libirt on Windows

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 09:43:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 10:09:22AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 02:28:44PM +0900, Atsushi SAKAI wrote:
> > Hi, Rich
> >
> >   I have a question about SSH support of libvirt on Windows.
> > Is there any reason for not supporting SSH.
>
> The initial problem is that to use SSH we fork/exec.... not gonna
> work on Windows which has no concept of fork/exec. So at the very
> least we'd need a completely separate branch of code to deal with
> this on Windows.
>
> Co-incidentally I'm in the process of changing all code in libvirt which
> uses fork/exec to make use of the 'virRun' and 'virExec' functions in
> the util.c file. So if we could figure out an alternate impl of these
> virRun & virExec functions for Windows, that'd make it easier to try
> SSH support

  That's one place where looking at existing glib function can really
help, they have gone over this kind of problems, and i assume found
APIs they could make consistent across platforms.
  http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/unstable/glib-Spawning-Processes.html
the APIs are a bit frightening though ...