[libvirt] ruby-libvirt bindings

I'm trying to get the ruby-libvirt bindings working. I've installed
them from the gem (ruby-libvirt-0.0.7.gem), but I'm having trouble. My
setup is:

Client: Debian Lenny, libvirt 0.4.4 compilied with Xen API 3.0.1 support
Server: CentOS 5.2, libvirt 0.3.3 compilied with Xen API 3.0.1
(running Xen 3.1.0)

The virsh command will connect from the client to the server using
xen+ssh, but not the default TLS. The error I get when trying to use
TLS is:
dplummer vps-manager:~$ virsh -c xen://lvh2/
libvir: Remote error : No route to host
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

I've setup certs on both the client and the server, there are no
firewalls between them, and I can ping between them just fine.

Anyway, what I'm really trying to do is get the ruby bindings working,
and since the xen+ssh virsh connection works, I'm trying that. But
getting the error "socket closed unexpectedly".

--------------------
dplummer vps-manager:~$ irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'libvirt'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> system('virsh -c xen+ssh://root lvh2/ version')
Compiled against library: libvir 0.4.4
Using library: libvir 0.4.4
Using API: Xen 3.0.1
Running hypervisor: Xen 3.1.0

=> true
irb(main):003:0> conn = Libvirt::open('xen+ssh://root lvh2/')
libvir: Remote error : socket closed unexpectedly
Libvirt::ConnectionError: Failed to open xen+ssh://root lvh2
	from (irb):3:in `open'
	from (irb):3
	from :0
irb(main):004:0>

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone get this to work? Thanks!