[libvirt] Proposed functionality: API to extract host description from saved state, restore with modified XML

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 10:42:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 11:17:50PM -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
> Would a patch adding API calls to
>  - return the XML description of a saved host, given the name
>  - restore a saved host with a different description
> be considered welcome?

As I understand it, yes & yes.

> I presume that to maintain backwards compatibility, the latter would be
> expected to be exposed to clients via a new call, rather than adding a
> parameter to virDomainRestore(); in communicating with the drivers, on
> the other hand, my first instinct would be to add an extra parameter to
> virDrvDomainRestore.

Yes, you cannot change the public API in a non-compatible way.  So
adding a new API call is the only option as I understand it.

You can change internal interfaces as much as you want.

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 64 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)