[libvirt] A laundry list of "TODO" items for libvirt

David Lively dlively at virtualiron.com
Fri Aug 29 18:12:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 22:08 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 05:02:29PM -0400, David Lively wrote:
> > Does "host power support" belong on the TODO?
> > (i.e. ??????virConnect{Poweroff,Suspend,Hibernate,Reboot})
> >
> > ???If libvirt is going to be the only external interface used to manage a
> > virtualized host, it must be able to poweroff, suspend, (hibernate?),
> > and reboot the host.  (For hosts that support IPMI/iLO or other power
> > control interfaces, this isn't necessary, but there are plenty of hosts
> > that don't support any of this.)
>
> This is an interesting question - I honestly can't say whether this should
> be within our scope or not. With things like poweroff, the application
> requesting the poweroff may well want some form of confirmation or
> guarentee.  This takes you into the realm of fencing / clustering software
> which can provide these kind of capabilities.

While some mgmt apps may choose to talk to another (fencing /
clustering / IPMI / iLO) layer to get this functionality in a stronger
form, the basic functionality is crucial enough that I think it must
exist in libvirt (or otherwise mgmt apps must talk to yet another
interface).

We use this functionality (in our xen-based dom0) both for upgrading
hosts, and for shutting them down to await Wake-On-LAN (to implement our
"LivePower" support).  VMWare also includes this capability in their ESX
API, I'm told.

Dave