[libvirt] KVM/qemu: problems with autostart of vms with non-bridged nets

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 10:54:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 11:42:28AM +0100, Gerd v. Egidy wrote:
> > > I came up with the attached patch to fix this for me, but
> > > a) I'm not sure if it is a clean use of the api to call virConnectOpen()
> > > from within a state-initializer function
> > > b) This is just for qemu/kvm, I haven't looked at any other drivers
> > >
> > > It would be nice if an experienced libvirt-developer could take a look at
> > > this. Thank you very much.
> >
> > Thanks for the bug report & patch.
> >
> > Did this patch actually make it work for you ?  AFAICT, there's a problem
> > even earlier, which is that we are doing autostart of the virtual machines,
> > before autostart of the networks and storage pools, so I'm not sure that
> > this patch is sufficient.
>
> This patch alone not, but this patch + the one in my first mail
> (see https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-November/msg00457.html)
> together make it work for me. The first patch fixes the autostart order, the
> second one adds the necessary conn structure.

Oh yes, I totally missed the patch in your first mail. The first patch
is definitely correct and I'll apply that shortly. While your second
patch is also functionally OK, I'm not entirely happy with creating a
connection object deep inside the QEMU driver code. So I'm going to
think about whether there's a better way todo that bit.