[libvirt] Doubt over Kvm migration support in libvirt 0.5.0

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Tue Dec 2 08:09:41 UTC 2008

Anton Protopopov wrote:
> 2008/12/2 Shanmuga Rajan <shan at binarykarma.com
> <mailto:shan at binarykarma.com>>
>
>     I am using libvirt(python) to develop a small application which will
>     manage my nodes which running in KVM.
>     But when i tried migration i got this error.
>
>     >>> vs.migrate(conn, libvirt.VIR_MIGRATE_LIVE,'testtt','192.168.1.82
>     <http://192.168.1.82>',0)
>     libvir: error : this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
>     virDomainMigrate
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 301, in
>     migrate
>       if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainMigrate() failed',
>     dom=self)
>     libvirt.libvirtError: virDomainMigrate() failed this function is not
>     supported by the hypervisor: virDomainMigrate
>

>     i am running kvm-66 taken from Centos-5 Testing repositary and libvirt
>     0.5.0( 0.5.0: Nov 25 2008 release note says that support for kvm
>     migration included)
>
> See
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-December/msg00027.html

Yes, true, you definitely need updated kvm userland packages for it to work.
However, the error above probably means that you didn't properly update libvirt.
 Either you are still running the older libvirtd binary, or you forgot to
restart libvirtd.  Once you have restarted libvirtd, you'll probably get a
different error message unless you have kvm-79 or later.

--
Chris Lalancette