[libvirt] virsh save produces "unknown migration protocol: stdio"

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 14:51:56 UTC 2008

I just want to forward this comment on from #virt so that we don't
lose it.  It appears to be an incompatibility between libvirt 0.5.0
and recent KVM.

  <knowinters> Hi, I'm using libvirt 0.5.0 with kvm-79, when I do virsh
  save kvm replies with "unknown migration protocol: stdio". A state
  file is created, but it's only 4K and when restored the vm boots from
  scratch instead of starting where it was when i saved. I googled but
  couldn't find a resolution. Is this a known issue?
  <knowinters> nm i think i see what's happening.. it
  <knowinters> 's using the exec: migration method to call dd to move
  the state from stdio to a file
  <knowinters> exec: isn't in kvm-79 i don't think, but i see it in git
  so ill try that

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)