[Libvir] [patch 3/3] Do not inline xstrtol functions

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 10:02:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 11:07:55PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Our strtol() variants are all marked "static inline"
> and with gcc 4.3 we get:
>
>   internal.h:272: error: inlining failed in call to 'xstrtol_i': call is unlikely and code size would grow
>
> This patch renames them to virStrToLong() and exports
> them from the library as private symbols.

  Hum, I don't like too much adding more exported symbols

> Alternative is to not build with -Winline.

  That sounds a weak way to try to avoid a problem, we should
not rely on just compiler options to get the code to compile and link.

  My preference would be to use the patch to make them real internal
APIs without exporting all the functions, I think only xstrtol_i is
used by external programs (virsh and qemud), and maybe we can add only
that one to the list of exported symbols.