[Libvir] dumpxml define not idempotent due to <bootlader/> tag

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 13:07:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:38:07PM +0100, Guido Guenther wrote:
> Hi,
> when using "virsh dumpxml <domain> > xmlfile" on a running paravirt xen
> domain that has no bootloader entry whatsoever I get:

>   <bootloader/>
>   <os>
>     <type>linux</type>
>     <kernel>/boot/vmlinuz-vm</kernel>
>     <initrd>/boot/initrd.img-vm</initrd>
>     <cmdline>root=/dev/sda1 ro </cmdline>
>   </os>
>
> reimporting this via "virsh define xmlfile" and then dumping again gives
> something like:
>   <bootloader/>
>   <os>
>     <type>linux</type>
>   </os>
> since a bootloader tag is found the kernel and initrd entries are being
> dropped. My hack is to ignore empty bootloader statements for the
> moment:

Nope, that's no good - empty bootloader indicates use of the defautl XenD
bootloader. What we need is to not drop the kernel/initrd when doing XML
to SEXPR back into XenD. We currently create an SXPR with either a (bootloader)
or a (kernel) block - we should unconditionally do both & not try to second
guess it. IIRC, John mentioned this is already needed for Solaris too.

Dan.