[Libvir] [RFC] 0/3 Add Linux Container support to libvirt

Dave Leskovec dlesko at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 21 06:24:18 UTC 2008

The following set of patches add the first batch of linux container
support to libvirt.  The work is not complete but I wanted to start
getting some of this out for comments.  This set of patches supports the
following:

* new switch --with-lxc to enable linux container support (off by default)
* virConnectOpen
* virConnectClose
* virConnectListDomains (of course none are listed since we can't start
the containers yet)
* virConnectNumOfDomains
* virConnectListDefinedDomains
* virConnectNumOfDefinedDomains
* virDomainLookupByUUID
* virDomainLookupByName
* virDomainGetInfo
* virDomainGetXMLDesc
* virDomainDefineXML
* virDomainUndefine

A sample XML format that can be used to define a linux container domain:
<domain type='linuxcontainer'>
    <name>TestContainer3</name>
    <container>
        <filesystem type='mount'>
            <source dir='/home/user/lxc_files/etc/'/>
            <target dir='/etc/'/>
        </filesystem>
        <filesystem type='mount'>
            <source dir='/home/user/lxc_files/var/'/>
            <target dir='/var/'/>
        </filesystem>
        <init>/usr/sbin/container_init</init>
    </container>
    <memory>65536</memory>
    <devices>
        <console tty='/dev/pts/4'/>
    </devices>
</domain>

I've left out the network definition as I'll be tackling that a little
later on...

I'm currently working on starting a container.

Any and all questions and comments are welcome.

Thanks!

--
Best Regards,
Dave Leskovec