[Libvir] Re: default hypervisor selection

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Thu Feb 21 19:13:02 UTC 2008

Daniel Veillard wrote:

>    - if /proc/xen doesn't exist (on linux, or /dev/xen on Solaris) well
>      we should not do that we are pretty sure we will get an error when
>      trying to connect
>    - if /proc/vz is present, well it's very likely that if the kernel
>      has been compiled with OpenVZ support, it's likely to be used as the
>      default virtualization
>    - if there is a kvm module loaded well we should probably use
>      qemu:///system if running as root or qemu:///session otherwise

While I definitely like the direction this thread is going in, I'd just
warn that this sort of probing can be equally as harmful as the current
behavior.

While Xen and KVM are mutually exclusive, the same is not true with
OpenVZ/Linux Containers.  While it may be unlikely that both are
actively being used, I find it very likely that in future distributions,
both features will be present.

So you may probe that this is a Linux Containers capable host, but you
may in fact be intending on using KVM for virtualization (and vice versa).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori