[libvirt] auto shutdown for qemu / kvm

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 15 19:17:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:25:01PM +0200, Matthias Pfafferodt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> there is the possibility to autostart a (qemu/kvm) domain. If libvirtd is
> stopped this domain is killed and the filesystem is in a unclean state. I
> miss the possible of an 'autostop' option that will shutdown a (qemu/kvm)
> domain if libvirtd is stopped.
>
> I changed the init script of my system (opensuse 11.0) to implement
> the 'autostop' option. Is there a simpler solution? Do you have tips how to
> improve the script?

This functionality doesn't belong in the initscripts. It needs to be done
as part of the individual hypervisor drivers, so for example, it can be
delegated to XenD daemon, and behaviour controlled  on a per VM basis
via the API. Many OS don't even use the initscript managing the libvirtd
daemon via a service management framework, like Upstart.