[libvirt] some unsorted questions

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 16 23:29:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

Currently I'm working on my webserver thingie. And I notice some
annoying error messages. Generally I use a predefined host to do the
basic setup of defining a domain. So a client can shoot its XML directly
into a post request, or we set it up by parsing some parameters from the
URI.

Now personally I think it is smart to check if a domain is already
defined, or in use. If this is not the case libvirtd and the client get

libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:

That doesn't seem to fit the scenario at all :) Why does lookupbyname
behave so bad?

Secondly; I am a bit distracted by the domids concept. These ids are not
available before a domain is launched. I think it would be interesting
to allow signed values. In this way the 'defined' not active domains
would get a negative value and a running domain a positive value. (Dom0
gets 0)  This would have far less implications than using an uuid
through the codebase consistently (not speaking the about the extra
overhead).

If this gets implemented I would suggest a call that fetches all domains
from a running system and not only the defined or only the active ones.

Stefan