[libvirt] xml format for openvz driver

Evgeniy Sokolov evg at openvz.org
Tue Jul 22 15:29:40 UTC 2008

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 05:21:41PM +0400, Evgeniy Sokolov wrote:
>> Hello!
>
>   Hi Evgeniy
>
>> I made review of domain XML format for driver in libvirt.
>> And I have several questions and additions.
>>

>> For tag domain:
>> need to add "vmid" or "id" - currenly tag "name" is used for ID.
>> OpenVZ has mandatory parameter ID, but it also support optional
>> parameter "name", which is not implemented for openvz driver now. I plan
>> to support of "name" in future.
>
>   Hum ...
> the id is usually added as @id in the domain - assuming it is running.
> The decision to go for the numerical id for the <name> value was that
> it was supposed to be permanent and no extra high level naming scheme
> would appear.
> IIRC the 'id' name was the one of the subdirectory for the OpenVZ container.
> How is the new name support added on top of that ? Unless the directory
> names can now be allocated as name I don't see how the mapping is done.
>
> If the new external name is as good as the old id then just replace the
> id with the external name in <name> otherwise i wonder what the value
> of this new naming scheme is and would ignore it
>
>> For tag domain/os:
>> need to add "ostemplate"
>> desirable "config"
>>
>> For tag domain/devices/disk:
>> need to add "diskspace"
>> desirable "diskinodes" - it is optional because of "disknodes" are over
>> very rarely.
>
>   Hum, could you describe those new fields a bit more ?
It is disk quota for container. OpenVZ mount /vz/root/<ID> into VM as /.
It can be changed on running container (increase/decrease).
diskinodes is quota for inodes.

Inside VM:
[root at fedora-minimal /]# df
simfs                  1048576     96424    952152  10% /
[root at fedora-minimal /]# df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
simfs                 200000    6813  193187    4% /