[libvirt] PATCH: Support container XML enhancements

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Jul 30 09:04:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 04:20:14PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> This is something I previously submitted as part of one of the LXC
> patches, but I figure it makes sense on its own, since OpenVZ needs
> this now too.
>
> This adds two new XML elements to the domain XML format:

  Yep this was discussed at the time when the old OpenVZ format was
on the table. Looks fine to me

>  - An <init> block within <os> allowing specification of the path for
>    a binary to run when starting the container - aka 'init' by any other
[...]
>  - An <filesystem> element for specifying how the container's filesystem
>    is to be provided. This can actually be useful for full-machine virt
[...]
>    eg to use a template called 'fedora9web' as the root filesystem for
>       a container
>
>       <filesystem type='template'>
>          <source name='fedora9web'/>
>          <target dir='/'/>
>       </filesystem>

  I think the template type is the only concept which is really OpenVZ
specific (so far) everything else makes sense on a more general basis
as long a the hypervisor expose a notion of filesystem and not just block
devices.

[...]
> I believe this should satisfy all the OpenVZ, LXC and Linux-VServer
> drivers' requirements around filesystems

  +1 from me,

The RNG should really be extended to support it as John pointed out,
we should really try to keep it in sync with the parsing routine now that
they are centralized.