[libvirt] libvirt-qpid

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 14:40:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 03:06:01PM +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:55:36AM -0700, Ian Main wrote:
> >
> > Howdy folks!
> >
> > If you wish to try it out, I've made rpms for fedora 9 x86_64 and i386.
> > They are in the ovirt repo, which you can add to yum using:
> >
> > rpm -ivh http://ovirt.org/repos/ovirt/9/ovirt-release-LATEST.fc9.noarch.rpm
>
>   Note to interested users, you also need to enable the repo
> by editing /etc/yum.repos.d/ovirt.repo after install and switch enable
> to 1 at least in the first section.
>
> > Once you have that set up, 'yum install libvirt-qpid python-qpid', and then
> > run (each in their own terminals):
>
>   You also need 'yum install qpidd' I suspect this indicates a missing
> dependancy maybe in the libvirt-qpid package but I'm not 100% sure

Yeah, i believe that should be a requirement. NB, the versions of qpidc
and qpidd in Fedora currently are too old for libvirt-qpid. I've been
speaking with qpid maintainer and they'll push a new build to Fedora in
the very near future.

> > qpidd --auth no
> > libvirt-qpid (as root to auth with libvirt)
> > qpid-tool
> >
> > qpid-tool provides an interface to qpid and allows you to view/manipulate the
> > qpid models/objects.  Here is an example of how it looks using qpid-tool:
> >
> > $ qpid-tool
> > Management Tool for QPID
> > qpid: list
>
>  Well ... all I got there was
>
> Waiting for next periodic update
>
> on the other hand the libvirt-qpid is checking every second or so the
> current state, I guess the connection isn't made or something.
> I tried qpid-tool both as root and $user
>
> BTW i would suggest to rename qpid-tool to libvirt-qpid-tool or
> virt-qpid-tool to avoid confusion about the scope.

Actually qpid-tool is a general purpose shell  provided by qpid
themselves, not a libvirt specific thing - if you have other
agents active it'll show those objects as wel as the libvirt
ones.

> Some comments about the XML schemas:
>  - camelCaseDanke :-)
>  - Node has methods domain_define_xml, storage_pool_define_xml and
>    storage_pool_create_xml
>    I think at least for symetry domain_create_xml should be available
>    there too.

Yep, all APIs should be expressed in the qpid binding eventually.

>  - I would make an Error class mimicking at least partially what's
>    available in libvirt C or python bindings
>  - Domain.create() is very confusing, again I would define domain
>    creation under node, i.e. temporary 'undefined' domains. Then
>    <method name="create" desc="Start stopped VM"/>
>    should probably be renamed 'start' to avoid confusion.
>    and the comment "Start a defined but stopped domain" would be more
>    adequate by mentioning the define API...

The trouble with that is it would diverge from libvirt naming - admittedly
the libvirt naming isn't ideal, but i figure consistency is better so
people can cross-reference API documentation more easily. So the 'create'
method on Domain does make sense, but we'd expect another 'createLinux'
method on the Node object for unmanaged domains - though it might be
worth breaking with consistency in this one case and dropping the 'Linux'
suffix from the name there .