[libvirt] PATCH: Support SDL configuration for QEMU driver

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 15:35:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 11:26:55AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > QEMU has two modes of providing a graphical display, VNC and SDL. Now most
> > of our tools just use VNC, but occasionally people want to use SDL for
> > some crazy reason. We already support this in Xen driver, but the QEMU
> > impl has been rather lacking. At the moment if you ask for a SDL display
> > it'll only happen to work if you had the $DISPLAY environment variable
> > set when you started libvirtd - you probably don't.
> >

> I've thought about this issue before, not sure how to fully solve it
> though. If we set the display in the xml at install time (say setting
> it to :0.0), but at a later time we ssh =Y into that machine, the
> display in the xml will be wrong, and possibly pop the sdl window on
> someone else's display. Possibly a solution at the virsh or
> virt-manager level?

There's frankly no practical way to solve the general case problem. This
only attempts to solve one specific use case.

A server running the guest has a permanent X11 display available, and
the admin wants to configure a guest to use this display, regardless
of what $DISPLAY libvirtd/virsh happen to have.

This patch enables this use case by allowing the XML to contain the
explicit display name & xauth file for the server the admin wants to
use.

I don't expect this to be useful in the context of virt-manager. VNC is
the only sensible general purpose config - SDL should only be considered
for specific use cases.