[libvirt] virDomanMigrate on kvm fails

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Oct 7 08:27:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 09:55:00AM +0200, Kenneth Nagin wrote:

> virDomainMigrate fails when the domain is a kvm guest.
> The error message is "this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
> virDomainMigrate."

This error message indicates the problem.

Migration is not yet supported. Currently KVM's private fork of QEMU
has some migration support, but this is not written in a suitable
way for us to use - it blocks the QEMU monitor on startup. Upstream
QEMU is getting better migration support and once that's done we can
support it in libvirt.