[libvirt] cpu flags

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 09:42:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 04:45:09PM -0400, Ben Guthro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're finding that we are going to be needing the cpu flags (as reported
> in /proc/cpuinfo)
> ..specifically to find out if we are a vmx enabled machine.
>
> So - off I went looking into this for a patch to submit upstream.
> Unfortunately, I ran into some questions which need answering before I
> really proceed with this
>
> It seems to me that this info would best be parsed in src/nodeinfo.c
> This is where other cpuinfo things are parsed...and stored in the
> nodeinfo struct
> Perhaps we store this as a bitmask encoded int, as defined in
> /usr/include/asm/cpufeature.h and tack this onto the end of sad struct.
>
> My concern is that adding to the nodeinfo struct breaks the API - such
> that the structs will be different sizes between versions.

Indeed - any struct or API in include/libvirt/libvirt.h is immutable
to preserve ABI.

> Also - this seems to be x86 specific. Are we primarily destined for x86?
> Or would this type of change be unacceptable due to not working on PPC,
> for example?

No,we need to work on every architecture - KVM for example is ported to
x86, ia64, ppc, and s390, Xen is on arm, x86, ia64. Now the set of flags
will likely be different across each processor - and some may not even
have a concept of flags, but we shouldn't be specifically x86 in API.

I think the most likely place for exposing CPU flags would be in the
capabilities XML format. We do in fact already expose 3 flags there,
PAE, VMX and SVM.

As John mentions we also need to be careful to specify a naming that is
consistent across OS - though that may be as simple as defining that
the naming is required to match Linux /proc/cpuinfo standards. The intent
is that if you have the same CPUs in 2 machines, one running Linux and
the other Solaris then libvirt must report the same names.