[libvirt] pausing / unpausing guests with libvirt

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 18:21:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 09:23:52AM -0400, Matthew Donovan wrote:
> I'm working on a management application that will control Xen guest vms
> (HVMs) with libvirt Java bindings.  I want to be able to pause and unpause
> the VMs but doing so through the libvirt functions does not seem to actually
> pause the VM.  The suspend function returns true and doesn't throw any
> exceptions, however, the guest VM is still running and responsive.
>
> Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Is it possible you could isolate whether the problem is with libvirt
or with the Java bindings?  One way would be to shell out to 'virsh'
just to see if virsh fails to change the state (ie. a libvirt/C) or if
the problem is in the Java bindings.

Pausing/resuming Xen domains is a very common and well-tested
operation so I would be surprised if it's a libvirt problem, but you
never know ...

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/