[libvirt] libvirt-0.3.3-14.el5 (redhat rpm) vs libvirt-0.6.5 (source)

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 12:37:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 01:47:18PM +0200, Jim Bergensen wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Many thanks for your answers.
>
> Is it possible to go for the redhat xen kernel and compile libvirt from
> source? Or should I compile the xen kernel and xen itself from source aswell
> to get libvirt working?

  I would say: rebuild libvirt locally from the source rpms provided
on libvirt.org FTP, using for example 0.6.3.
Then start developping your code against those, until you get to update
RHEL-5 to Update 4 in the next months, then use native kernel and
libvirt build, then you will have KVM support.

> I'd rather go for the redhat stock kernels, to save time in the future, but
> stability and compatibility is important.

  Hence my proposal.

> Also, does the libvirt API changes alot?

  Only additions, ABI and API compatibility is preserved, but forward
only, don't use 0.6.4 or 0.7.0 only features as they won't be in RHEL-5
update 4.