[libvirt] vbox save/restore

Lucian Adrian Grijincu lucian.grijincu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 10:48:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Daniel P. Berrange<berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> To be honest, the vbox driver shouldn't implement virDomainSave
> like this at all, as ignoring the filename parameter is not in
> compliance with the API contract.  Since there's no corresponding
> Restore impl I'd say we'd be better off just removeing the current
> virDomainSave impl since its not usable by libvirt apps in its
> form

There's no corresponding virDomainRestore, but "virsh start $vmname"
works: it starts the machine from the snapshot. Instead of being NULL,
the pointer to virDomainRestore should be initialized with the
function that is called for "start".

> THe current virDomainSave/Restore APIs are really pretty limited
> in their flexibility, and are well overdue for deprecation and
> replacement with something that can be implemented sanely across
> all hypervisors.

Your very right! As of now:
* virDomainRestore works only on three out of 6 hypervisors.
* virDomainSave is implemented on 4/6, but vbox's implementation is
not conformant and lacks a corresponding restore.

Until a better API is defined in libvirt and/or virtualbox, would you
be interested in a patch that would tread the filename for the
snapshot as a name and which would enable restore support as I
described in https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2009-August/msg00185.html
?

--
 .