[libvirt] Network Configuration question

Remko Nolten remko at nolten.nu
Sun Feb 8 21:34:06 UTC 2009

Hi!

For a shared virtual hosting project with some friends we need a
pretty specialized network configuration. Because we have virtually no
time for experimenting (no pun intended), and the hosting organization
has no experience with libvirt/KVM configurations they suggested to
try and ask here.

So, this is the situation: We have a server with one physical
connection. Each user gets one virtual machine with its own IP-address
(we have our own ip-range). The hosting organization gives us one
"main" address 'A' with netmask 255.255.255.0 (/24) and a default
gateway for our host machine. Besides this we get a number of
addresses B1, B2, etc. with netmask 255.255.255.255 (/32) and without
a default gateway. The switch just routes the traffic to our server
for each ip-address we own (A and Bn).

According to our hosting organization, the normal solution is to
configure a loopback interface for each of the ip-addresses on the
server so you can configure your software just to use one of the
addresses. But we are not sure how this will work out in our virtual
environment. Our intuition tells us we need to use the routing network
forwarding mode, but when we bring the server to the data center we
don't want to have any surprises. :)

Here at home I don't have to possibility to create similar
circumstances as in the data center due to some restriction from my
ISP, so I hope someone can tell me if our intuition is correct or that
we need to use some other method.

Thanks in advance!

--
Remko Nolten