[libvirt] RFC: configuring host interfaces with libvirt

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Jan 16 09:06:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 03:29 +0000, John Levon wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 02:59:17AM +0000, David Lutterkort wrote:
>
> > I am not disagreeing with you, but either way, libvirt needs _some_ way
> > to control host interfaces.
>
> This is far from obvious to me. Could you explain more?

You're right to ask, IMHO.

The rationale will be better explained by others, I'm sure, but here
goes:

    Any serious virtualization management tool needs to be able to
    configure the networking interfaces on a remote host.

    libvirt aims to be an all-encompassing API for such management
    tools.

The obvious worry is how will we decide where to draw the line? If
someone is writing a virt management tool that e.g. needs to install
packages on hosts, will we add support for that?

Cheers,
Mark.