[libvirt] Fine grained Access Control in libVirt

Konrad Eriksson1 KON at zurich.ibm.com
Fri Jan 16 12:07:33 UTC 2009

Daniel summarized my approach nicely.
Basically I'm looking at enabling multi-tenancy administration where
several admins can exist but they can only see and/or manipulate with
resources (VMs, storage, networks) assigned to them.
By making use of a generic AC-module approach where actions gets passed
through arbitrary complex access control can be enforced since the
AC-module could implement/interface different schemes of granting/denying
access depending on what enforcing policy wants to be used.
One could for example use SELinux as a scheme to enable RBAC and/or tie it
together with policies for sVirt.

An initial implementation step would be realizing the AC-module foundation
and starting with moving out the RW/RO enforcement (currently residing
within libvirt.c) as first basic enforcement scheme.

Freundliche Grüsse / Best regards

Konrad Eriksson
Research Software Engineer
Trusted Computing / Security & Assurance

Email: kon at zurich.ibm.com
Phone: +41 (0)44 724 84 28

IBM Zurich Research Laboratory

Saeumerstrasse 4