[libvirt] RFC: configuring host interfaces with libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jan 16 12:53:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:44:21PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:41:42PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I must be missing something here ... how can libvirt modify stuff
> > > inside the guest?
> >
> > It can't - this is all about configuring & managing networking on the
> > host OS.
>
> Well OK then, how does the information get passed into the guest?

There isn't anything to pass into the guest . This is about how to
configure host network interfaces for bridging, bonding, vlans, etc
eg, So you can take an host with a NIC, eth0, put that NIC into a
bridge, br0, and thus now have the ability to create guests using
a bridged networking configuration.

As it currently stands admins have to manually configure bridges
in their host by editing /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
This proposal is to provide an API for doing this in the host instead
of requiring that admin do it manually ahead of time.